musings and photography from a travel junkie

Thursday, December 13, 2001

Wildlife Count, Motorcycles and Manatees

I'm having a grand, ol' time here despite all the rednecks and the shrivs (shriveled-up old people) I recently got my grubby little hands on a motorcycle, so now I'm mobile and no longer need to rely on the bus system (which runs once every hour from 5am to 9pm except every other Wednesday when they run every 42.5 minutes...you get the picture).
I haven't made it to Tampa yet, only a measly 20 miles away, because I'm still not quite sure about the motorcycle. I had resurrected it from the dead and it seems to still have some lingering goblins...or it could just be pissed that I'm driving the darn thing all over town...

The wildlife tally so far (not counting the rednecks)is this:
4 alligators
4 soft shell turtles
6 gopher turtles
1 random turtle that was crossing the street on my way to the library.
2 green herons
1 blue heron
countless pelicans, seagulls and cormorants that like to squawk in my ear at 7 in the morning as the sun comes up
and 1 manatee that was swimming around in the marina yesterday. It was so close I swear I could have touched it as it swam under the dock. I wanted to jump in and swim with it, but I doubt the manatee would have wanted to play and then I would have looked pretty foolish splashing around in the Marina by myself.

The weather has been incredible and I'm still enjoying myself immensely. Rumor has it that on the 15th of January or thereabouts we will head off to the Bahamas. All I know for sure is that I will probably get seasick. Once again, a hearty “thank you” goes out to the makers of Dramamine and to all those products which aid in the righteous fight against the ills of motion sickness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home